About

Banner

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Gigi Hadid Is Pregnant



Gigi Hadid is pregnant and I have gone around (figuratively, via text) and told everyone I know.

The news came at the same time that the group chat was discussing the recent One Direction fan fiction TikToks. It was fortuitous, a moment of good spirits. Texting all of my group chats was like the old days, when I had #content to share and news to spill and too many people to inform. I used to forget who knew what, so I would always preface "I'm not sure if I told you about this?" I guess I still do that, but in a smaller way, my rotation of daily phone calls folding in on themselves.





Then I got a notification for a concert I was supposed to go to tomorrow, which is now postponed indefinitely. I'm not torn up over it, I'm glad to be healthy instead, but it is strange to maintain a calendar for the life I was supposed to live before all of this.

There is something hysterical about this baby news, and the thrill I get from sharing it, as if the kind of news I typically share is celebrity gossip and not the rising death toll and the risk to precarity workers. It's truly hysterical, like in hysterics, to act like nothing has changed in the years since One Direction broke up, which came years after I'd largely stopped paying attention to them, but years before I really considered myself an adult.

Isn't there a saying about how somebody's always pregnant at a funeral? Maybe I made that one up, but it's been true for me. That something so regular as pregnancy can occur right now, that we all go on in our group chats, that we bake bread and cook dinner, that we finish books, that we send emails about the fiscal year end. Somehow, the world replenishes itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment