About

Banner

Monday 16 March 2020

Hey does anyone remember Animorphs?

I do. I remember loving the series as a kid, back when Scholastic book fairs were a thing you could look forward to. The 'rona has closed schools, so those are probably canceled too. Which is a shame!

When I was younger I used to volunteer at the library with my brother, all the way up through high school. I worked in children's programming, which mostly meant flirting with the other volunteers and eating candy while setting up cartoons for kids we were kinda sorta babysitting while their parents worked. Shouts to Archie, who I think is a doctor now.

Anyway, Animorphs. What a series! And those COVERS! K.A. Applegate told a 54-book story about teens who can turn into any animal they touch saving the planet from the Yeerks, a species of alien brain leeches. I saw some online chatter about the series the other day, because fans absolutely hated the ending — it didn't give them the catharsis they wanted, I guess? — and Applegate, the author, had taken the time to respond. I read the letter; in a time of stans and online celeb armies, it's remarkable in its go-fuck-yourself relationship with the people who liked to consume Applegate's literary work. Here's the first bit. Oh, uh — spoiler alert? I never finished the series but now I'm really glad I know how it ended.





"Dear Animorphs readers," it begins, absolutely menacingly,
Quite a number of people seem to be annoyed by the final chapter in the Animorphs story. There are a lot of complaints that I let Rachel die. That I let Visser Three/One live. That Cassie and Jake broke up. That Tobias seems to have been reduced to unexpressed grief. That there was no grand, final fight-to-end-all-fights. That there was no happy celebration. And everyone is mad about the cliffhanger ending.  
So I thought I'd respond.  
Animorphs was always a war story. Wars don't end happily. Not ever. Often relationships that were central during war, dissolve during peace. Some people who were brave and fearless in war are unable to handle peace, feel disconnected and confused. Other times people in war make the move to peace very easily. Always people die in wars. And always people are left shattered by the loss of loved ones. 

That is some good shit, man! Who knew a YA fantasy author had a better grasp of war and its effects than, like, 90 percent of the U.S. government? Fuck the fans! Long live authorial control!

If you've ever been curious about the series and/or want to relive a happy part of your childhood, the ebooks are now available for free, thanks to some dedicated fans who care about letting their favorite author express herself. That's what's up.

[h/t Nerdist]


3 comments:

  1. Loved Animorphs though I honestly can't remember anything about the novels; all those memories were supplanted by the show. Wasn't there a tragic character who was in bird form too long so he had to stay a bird forever? wasn't he in love with someone? Is that Tobias??

    Also when I was Scholastic Book Fair age I definitely bought ("bought") the one with the dolphin on it first (with a black girl on the cover to boot!) because dolphins are my favorite animals and definitely didn't understand a damn thing because that book is not book 1 and there's really no winging it with Animorphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao

    and YES the sad hawk is tobias, an icon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read one Animorphs book as a kid but could not handle the heat. I read this recently and holy shit: https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/02-09-2018/i-read-all-54-animorphs-books-in-five-days-and-it-almost-killed-me/

    ReplyDelete