About

Banner

Tuesday 17 March 2020

What is lost and what will be lost

There are many things that are going to be taken from us because of the virus. It is still early, too early for most people to have lost a loved one, but those losses will come for some. It's too early for places that once felt like home to us to be closed forever -- our local bars, or the favorite restaurants that we go to as a treat to ourselves.

Some losses are currently in motion, and we're stuck watching them happen. People are losing work, I can see it on my social media feeds as a drip that I feel powerless to stop. I can see weddings postponed, trips cancelled, friends telling other friends that they will have to exist to each other on screens for a while longer.

But at the present moment, our completed loss is the loss of the ability to look forward to anything other than the end of the virus. I used to get through weeks by thinking about the weekend, and days by thinking about what potential the end of the day might have. Now the end of the day looks the same as the day, and the weekend feels the same as the week does. I do not know when it will end, but I know that someday my anticipation will return, unlike the other things I have lost along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment